Thursday, October 31, 2013

Go Sox!

The bucket list continues.  As I mark off places I've been with people I'll miss, the reality of the short time I have continues to stare me down.  16 more days... that's all.

Today is day 16.  And we have a lot to celebrate!  Last night the Boston Red Sox celebrated my departure by taking the World Series at home - the first time at Fenway Park since 1918.  They're the first team to achieve 3 Series this century.  They're trendsetters, but who could blame them?  I really appreciate them having given me this going away present.

Tonight the fun continues.  I get to hang with my GBF, or Geebs for short - Jeffrey.  I haven't talked to or seen Jeff much since he moved out of our apartment about 3 years ago.  Life, grad school and a relationship took him in a very busy direction, and we sort of fell out of touch.  Once a year or so, we find ourselves running into each other and catch up.  Tonight we'll do it over a dinner and a drink.

We have so much to celebrate.

Five years ago I visited Boston to see Jeffrey.  We were friends from home; he's from a rural Nebraska town and I'm from the rural parts of Kansas City.  I was doing a tour of the Northeast - starting in Philly and headed "up" - and ended in Boston for a long weekend.  Jeff took me out for drinks, we had my first brunch and he even gave me the lesson (which I heeded dearly the first 3 months I lived here): "To find your way home, look for the Pru."  We shared nachos at Qdoba, rode buses to work together, went dancing on the weekends and celebrated Obama's first victory - even though we both thought Hillary ought to have won.

The way the world works is often mired with intrigue and irony.  After Jeff left, we lost touch.  He and I moved on from Children's Hospital.  I started working for a big insurance company as he went to another hospital.  I met someone at my new company who I dated for a few months. A sweet fella from Arkansas, nonetheless.  (Another story: I'm really into Midwestern guys)  After it ended, life continued on.  Only to find out that the guy I dated and Jeff had met and become roommates.  Definitely ironic, considering how awkward it felt.

I don't run into them much, but I miss them often.  They both brought wonderful things to my life's table; Jeff with his sarcasm and dry humor and his roommate with his genuine, sweet sensibility.

Check out how amazing this guy's life is. I don't know that I can relate, though life is pretty sweet.

Time for a little cinnamon pastry coffee in the office; a little calm before the storm. I know the last two weeks will be an epic - and exhausting - ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment